Monday, June 09, 2008

Fawn

This morning as I zipped down to gather eggs and feed the ducks, I went along my way looking for eggs and new nests. Instead, I found to my great surprise a beautiful baby fawn curled up on the very edge of the pond where the water is not even an inch deep and the silty black mud is thick. It was the size of a house cat. I've never seen a fawn so close up before and it was so tightly curled, and its eyes were closed with the longest sweetest eyelashes ever. Steve came to look on his way to work and we realized we were probably scaring the bejesus out of it, poor thing. Its little nostrils were working overtime, but you couldn't see the distress on its body at all. I left it alone, and didn't even take a picture as we are wont to do these days, take a picture of everything otherwise we'll forget it in an instant, or never believe it ever existed. I had to go to work. I wondered and hoped that by the time I get back it'll be long gone.

1 comment:

Sub-Tropicaligal said...

That's a lovely picture you conjure. Makes me yearn for a deeper, woodsy-er world to bump up against my home. I do have an amazingly loud chorus of tree frogs -a tune I've NEVER heard before. It's wild, but such a different kind of wild than a fawn.