Thursday, June 05, 2008

Pickling

I forgot to mention that last week I quick pickled some red onions and radishes and they came out stellar. I simmered 2 cups of white wine vinegar with 1 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of kosher salt till dissolved. To season, I added two crushed cloves of garlic, a crushed knob of ginger, some coriander seeds and black peppercorns. After pouring this mixture over two cups of each vegetable (in separate mason jars) I let them cool, and then put them in the fridge. By dinner they were ready to eat. The onions are all gone. They were great as an addition to a sandwich. The radishes are like little chips, crisp and tangy.

2 comments:

L.I. Reporter said...

"Hey" from your old amigo Pete. I love radishes! I'll have to try the recipe.

Nice blog. Also, congrats on the pregnancy - when are you due? Abby is now 14 months and walking all over the house.

Miss you guys and hope to see you this summer.

Sub-Tropicaligal said...

Yum! I made a quick pickled purple cabbage slaw. Raw sugar granules, rice vinegar, crushed red pepper tossed with blanched, shredded purple cabbage. Chilled. Crispy, cool, tangy, sweet/heat. Got even better after a few days in the fridge.

sub-tropicaligal