Friday, June 27, 2008

Jerusalem Artichokes and Golden Beets


Yesterday I picked up some fabulous golden beets from the farm I pass on my way to work. I ate the greens last night with grilled salmon steak and a maple s0y glaze. Yum.


What are these, you ask? Why these are the famous tubers of the Jerusalem Artichoke. Someone in my neighborhood was giving them away for free and I realized why--they can border on being invasive. She gave me some to eat and some to plant. I figured I should taste them first, right? They are good--water chestnutty--but nothing I'm fanatical about. I sort of like the plant though, they grow very tall and are in the sunflower family, so they get nice yellow flowers. Maybe I'll tuck them away somewhere in a corner of the property. Aren't they alien looking?

3 comments:

Sub-Tropicaligal said...

Wow. Free invasive roots! Hope that didn't come off snotty....I mean WOW!

LOVE your photos.

We're home. Let's make a phone date.
D

Sub-Tropicaligal said...

"Maple Soy Glaze" (Say this like you're imitating Homer Simpson, and it comes off really yummy).

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just bought some golden beets - how should I cook them? Roast? Boil??